We are looking to hire an Imam for our Masjid. See our announcement.
بِسْمِ اللَّهِ الرَّحْمَنِ الرَّحِيم
The Muslims in Alexandria VA (ICNA VA MASJID) are in search of an Imam!
Imam Position Description
Provide Islamic religious guidance, practices, and leadership to the Muslim community of Masjid ICNA Islamic Center, in Alexandria, Virginia according to the teachings of the Holy Quran and the Sunnah of Prophet Mohammad (peace and blessings be upon him); establish and promote educational and extracurricular programs for adults and youth; lead the establishment of a unified Muslim community welcoming to all Muslims from different backgrounds and cultures; engage with the larger community to promote friendship and understanding between Muslims and non-Muslims in the community. The Imam reports to the Board of Directors of ICNA VA & Masjid Committee. The candidate must be a U.S. Citizen or a U.S. Permanent Resident (Green Card Holder).
Following are desired qualifications but not an absolute must:
1. A degree in Islamic Studies or related field from an accredited educational institution.
2. Ability to recite The Qura’n correctly. Having memorized the entire Qur’an is most desirable, though not a must.
3. Fluency in English and Arabic (Spoken and written).
4. Comprehensive knowledge of Islamic Shariah.
5. Experience as an Imam.
6. Ability to interact with and relate to youth.
7. Ability to work with people of different cultures and backgrounds.
8. Ability to teach.
9. Demonstrated experience in conflict prevention and resolution.
10. Has a dynamic personality and is a motivational speaker.
11. Experience in speaking with Non-Muslims about Islam.
The Imam is expected to:
- Lead at least 3 prayers (Fajar, Maghreb, Isha) a day. 6 days a week.
- Give the Khutbah and lead prayer for Jumu’ah and Eid Prayers.
- Provide Hadith studies, Seerah and Fiqh lessons, and other Islamic topics to increase knowledge and provide for spiritual growth of community members.
- Participate in the community activities that further good interfaith and public relations for Islam and Muslims.
- Develop and implement educational and extracurricular programs for the youth.
- Work with Masjid Committee on annual fundraising programs for the community as needed.
- Provide consultation to the Masjid Committee on religious matters, community issues, and Mosque activities as requested.
- Work approximately 40 hours per week.
- Maintain regular and convenient office hours at the Mosque for community members to seek religious guidance.
- Interact with all persons and organizations, Muslim and Non-Muslim, in a manner that reflects positively on the Mosque.
- Continually strive and conduct oneself in ways that foster unity and a sense of inclusion among all community members and promote broad participation in Islamic and community activities.
- Lead by example to prevent discrimination on any basis including but not limited to school of thought, gender, race, nationality, ethnic origin, citizenship, political affiliation, or economic status.
- Conduct oneself in a manner that is respectful of the history and diversity of the Muslim community.
Salary will include benefits:
- One Day off per week.
- Health insurance.
- Two weeks paid vacation.
- Option of W2 or 1099
- One-year contract with extension option based on first year’s performance.
- Salary will be based on education and experience.
Please email your resume to email@example.com
- Submit your CV and a sample voice recording of you reciting the Quran to INFO@ICNAVA.ORG with the Subject “Potential Imam”
- Also email 2 recommendation letters from a reputable Shaykh, or Masjid or an organization